Benton County Parks:
360 SW Avery Avenue
Corvallils, OR 97333
Benton County Web Site
Lots to choose from
Within Benton County there are over 45 parks and recreational areas. The ammenities of these areas range from hiking trails to fully developed areas that have camping, picnicking, gas grills, electricty, ballfields, boat ramps, and more.
The Benton County Natural Areas and Parks Department serves the interests and pursuits of Benton County residents by providing access to natural, historic, and recreational areas and conserving, restoring and developing parkland investments.
Below is just a sampling.
Fort Hoskins Historic Site
Acquired in 1992, the Fort Hoskins archaeological site and historic house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the most significant archaeological sites in Oregon. Established in 1856 to protect Siletz Indians, Fort Hoskins served as an important outpost for the Indians, Union soldiers and Pacific Northwest settlers during the Civil War. The original purpose of the fort was to encourage better relations among the Indians and settlers. Later, it served as an outpost and infirmary for Union soldiers. The fort was abandoned in 1866.
North Albany Park
Seating for 160 picnickers, kitchen facilities with barbeques, open fields, and a unique children's' play area makes North Albany Park a popular site for group events. The open fields and sports facilities including softball, volleyball and horseshoes, provide space for a variety of field games, summer youth programs, and special events. Parking is limited. The park entrance is accessed through a residential district, and is far removed from the highway
Adair Park is the largest, most developed park in the system. Two group picnic areas with kitchen shelters and barbecue pits seat a total of approximately 300 picnickers. Extensive sports facilities including baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, open turf areas, walking paths, and a small children's' play area receive heavy use. Hiking trails are available but affected by poison oak. Located off Highway 99W Scenic Route, the park has a newly developed disc golf course.
A 6,221 sq. ft. indoor clubhouse with adjacent landscaped patio is available for banquets, receptions, and meetings. On adjoining property, two area hobby clubs maintain an active radio-controlled aircraft aerodrome (model airplane flying field) and a model railroad workstation.
Centrally located on the banks of the Willamette River between Corvallis and Albany, Hyak Park is a popular boat launching site and rest area with outstanding views of the river. Formerly called the Adair Water Intake Park of the Adair Air Force Base, ownership of the park was transferred to the County in 1971. Parking and picnicking facilities are limited.
Fitton Green Open Space Natural Area
Open Space property was donated to Benton County to protect and preserve as a resource land with limited recreational improvements. It occupies an important position in a northwest Corvallis greenbelt. Potential recreational use includes a mix of hiking, birdwatching, and great panoramic views. Planned improvements involve public access location, parking, signage, erosion control, and expanding the open space site as outside funding and assistance is received.
Jackson-Frazier Wetland property was formally placed under the Parks Department in 1993. Management objectives include protecting, maintaining or enhancing vegetation, hydrology, and wildlife habitats. A 3,400-foot wooden boardwalk winds through the wetland allowing visitors to see many plant communities and habitats; the walkway accommodates individuals with disabilities. Several benches along the boardwalk are available for use. There are no restrooms or drinking water available. The Jackson-Frazier Wetland Technical Advisory Committee works closely with Benton County Parks Department in the conservation of this natural preserve. Site improvements include an elevated wooden boardwalk, educational kiosk, interpretive signage and materials. made possible through grants, foundations, many private donations and volunteers.
Benton County Courthouse
The Benton County Courthouse is the oldest Oregon courthouse still used for its original purpose. Completed in 1888, the four-story building was designed by Portland architect Delos Neer in the Italiannate style of architecture. A tower-like pavilion and single story portico on the east end form the main entrance. A broken pediment is set in the tower cornice, in which stands a Goddess of Justice. Topped by a mansard-like roof and clock tower with bell and carillon, the Courthouse is a prominent local landmark. In 1977, the courthouse was listed on the National register of Historic Places.
The courthouse lawn is well landscaped with rose bushes, flower beds, and ornamental shrubbery. Park benches invite residents and visitors to stop and enjoy this historic block in downtown Corvallis. Guided tours are available by appointment.
Irish Bend Park
Irish Bend Park, located 18 miles south of Corvallis, provides boat launch access to the Willamette River for non-motorized boats. The site was acquired by the State in 1968 through federal greenway funds and turned over to the County Parks Board for local management. Irish Bend is primarily undeveloped. Boat access is hampered by the presence of a sand bar at the launch site.
Property on Anderson Road was acquired through tax foreclosure. No signage, parking, or facilities exist. Parks staff and board members view this property as significant in that it is close to state parks property and has potential for quality river access in the future. The property is undeveloped and not part of the active parks system.
The site of Bellfountain Parks has been used as a meeting place since 1860. In 1970, the department purchased the park for $1.00 from the Bellfountain Park Association. It is a small, high use 10 acre community park including a group picnic pavilion complete with an 85 foot covered picnic table and kitchen shelter, ball field, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, unique children's play area, and freshwater spring. New ADA accessible restrooms open year round, have been installed.
Clemens Park features 6/10 of a mile fishing and swimming frontage along the Alsea River and a 2-mile self-guided interpretative nature trail. Facilities provide riverfront picnic sites, water activities, birdwatching, and an information kiosk. No covered picnic areas are available. Rex and Ethel Clemens donated the land for this park to the citizens of Benton County in 1968.
Mill Creek Boat Landing/Robinson Grove
Mill Creek Boat Landing is located three miles west of Alsea and provides drift boat access to the Alsea River. Acquired in 1966 for boat launching only, the site receives heavy use during fishing season from both local fishermen and state and regional visitors. Picnicking, bank fishing and swimming is also available in the Dick Robinson Memorial Grove. A wide naturalized turf trail connects the boat landing with the attractive oak grove picnic area. Bank stabilization measures are needed and utilized along the riverbank. Boat ramp conditions are affected by annual river silting.
Campbell Boat Landing
Campbell Boat Landing (aka Pink House) provides drift boat access to the Alsea River. It receives heavy use during fishing season from both local fishermen and some regional and state visitors. The asphalt boat ramp is in fair condition. The parkland is owned by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and managed by the Benton County Parks Department.
Salmonberry Boat Landing and Campground
Salmonberry Boat Landing provides bank fishing and an easy access concrete boat ramp. A 20-unit campground with flush toilets, water, barbecue grills, and picnic tables was constructed in 1993 and is open on a seasonal basis. Gravel access and parking is in fair condition. A short natural trail along the elevated bank provides very limited hiking.
Beazell Memorial Forest
Mr. A. Fred Beazell gave his 586-acre tree farm in Kings Valley to Benton County "…to be used as a public park in perpetuity" as stated in his will. Beazell requested that the land be used as a memorial forest for his late wife, Dolores May. Small day use park opened to the public on July 1, 2003, includes interpretive signs, parking, trails and restroom. The day use park is used as a trailhead for approximately 5 miles of trails when the system has been fully developed. The will states visitors "…should be encouraged to leave only their footprints behind." The County Parks Advisory Board lead a public process, involving Kings Valley residents, neighbors and other interested citizens, that finalized a stewardship management plan. Two houses are located on the property, including an historic farmhouse constructed circa 1870. This farmhouse is believed to be the home of James and Ashnah Plunkett whose family owned the property until the 1960's. James Plunkett served at Fort Hoskins between 1855 and 1865. The second house is the main residence and is used for the site Caretaker.